The expanse of land that came to be known as Clinton, North Carolina was originally settled by Scotch-Irish immigrants in 1740. The area was found to contain rich farmlands ideal for growing crops and raising cattle. It attracted many of the new settlers including John Sampson who was the main benefactor of the town and served as a lieutenant general in the county’s militia.
The town of Goldsboro, (originally Goldsborough), did not come about until the 1840s with the introduction of the Wilmington and Weldon Railroad. A hotel built at the intersection of the newly constructed railroad and New Bern road became the central point of a brand new community.
Known, at the time, as Campbellton, Fayetteville was originally settled along the Cape Fear River by Scottish immigrants in 1739. The settlement was officially renamed as the town of Fayetteville when it was incorporated in 1783. In 1831, Fayetteville suffered an immense tragedy known as the “Great Fire” that laid waste to hundreds of local businesses and private residences.
The town of Wallace was established along the tracks of the Wilmington and Weldon Railroad. It was originally known as Duplin Crossroads when it was incorporated in 1873, and it came to be known as Wallace in 1899. The town was named for Stephen D. Wallace, who was the president of the Wilmington and Weldon Railroad at the time of Wallace’s initial creation.
Elizabethtown was founded in 1773 as a part of Bladen County, North Carolina. Being located along the Cape Fear River meant that the area was desirable for trade and commerce. During the American Revolution, the area laid out as Elizabethtown was targeted heavily by British loyalists. In 1781, the Patriots took a stand against the Loyalists through a sneak attack on August 29th.